30 Jun | Posted by Teri Fann | no comments |
It’s almost time for the 4th of July festivities to begin!
Vacationing at the beach, barbecuing with the neighbors or just watching the fireworks from your backyard are some of the fun ways to enjoy the holiday.
However you decide to celebrate this Independence day, there are 10 very important safety tips to consider for your four legged family members!
10. KEEP YOUR PET INDOORS AT ALL TIMES!
Regardless if your pet is used to being outdoors, the loud noises from the fireworks will be stressful, and can be avoided by keeping your pet(s) inside during the evening.
9. DO NOT USE HUMAN INSECT REPELLENT ON YOUR PET!
Just as certain foods that we enjoy are deadly to pets, human grade bug spray can cause terrible side effects when applied to an animal. Drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy are some of the side effects of DEET (a common insecticide that may also cause neurological issues).
8. ALCOHOL CAN POISON YOUR PET!
This seems like a no-brainer but, alcohol should never be given to your pet. Severe symptoms such as coma, respiratory failure or even death can occur.
7. HEADING OUT FOR A FIREWORKS SHOW? LEAVE YOUR PET AT HOME.
Fireworks shows are typically over crowded, noisy and filled with unfamiliar smells and people. Though entertaining for you, your pet may feel threatened and try to escape to find a quiet place for shelter. Do not opt to lock them in your car either as this can cause heat stroke or even death!
6. BE SURE YOUR PET HAS PROPER IDENTIFICATION
Make sure whether indoors or outdoors, your dog has proper ID tags/rabies tags on his collar. Consider micro-chipping your dog for extra protection as tags can easily get lost!
5. AVOID “GLOW” JEWELRY
Though fun for kids & adults, your pet can easily choke or die from chewing the materials in these. Excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation can result from ingestion, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
4. KEEP PETS AWAY FROM FIREWORKS!
Most fireworks contain potentially toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals. These post a serious risk when lit AND when left out around your pets.
3. AVOID GIVING OUT TABLE SCRAPS
Many of the foods we enjoy during outdoor grilling can be potentially fatal to our pets. Common offenders include beer, chocolate, onions, avocados & grapes. Table food left unattended outdoors can easily be consumed by a pet left out to wander while guests are enjoying the festivities. Follow this link to learn more about foods that are harmful to pets https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs
2. KEEP PETS AWAY FROM LIGHTER FLUID AND MATCHES!
The ASPCA lists chlorates as a harmful chemical substance found in some matches that, if ingested, can cause your pet difficulty in breathing, damage blood cells or even cause kidney disease.
1. CITRONELLA IS NOT PET FRIENDLY!
Oils, candles, insect coils and other citronella-based repellants are irritating toxins to pets. Even inhaling this substance can cause pneumonia, and ingestion can harm your pet’s nervous system.
Have a fun & safe 4th of July!